Seth Godin shares some wisdom on how to build effective “About Us” pages for our websites. This page is often one of the most important pages on any website but also one of the most poorly done pages. Here’s what Seth has to say:
When someone comes to your site for the first time, they’re likely to hit ‘about’ or ‘bio’. Why? Because they want a human, a story and reassurance.
Here are some helpful guidelines (okay, they’re actually imperatives):
1. Don’t use meaningless jargon:
… is a recognized provider of result-based online and mobile advertising solutions. Dedicated to complete value chain optimization and maximization of ROI for its clients, … is committed to the ongoing mastery of the latest online platforms – and to providing continuously enhanced aggregation and optimization options.
2. Don’t use a stock photo of someone who isn’t you (if there is a stock photo of you, congratulations). The more photos of you and your team, the better.
3. Make it easy to contact you. Don’t give a contact address or number that doesn’t work.
4. Be human. Write like you talk and put your name on it. Tell a story, a true one, one that resonates.
5. Use third party comments and testimonials to establish credibility. Use a lot of them. Make sure they’re both interesting and true.
– Seth Godin.